To be fair… I wasn’t sure what I was going to do with a series of tutorials I created – some for Adobe – using ExtendScript, SwitchBoard, PatchPanel and Photoshop Panels (aka the CSXSLibrary.swc). A few of these you will find on Adobe’s devnet for Photoshop, but many of which are previously unreleased to the public. I was kicking around the idea of either including them in a book or future workshops – but with Golan’s posting of the videos from Art and Code and the renewed interest, in the spirit of open source, I’m going to post the link to them here, for now, and on Google Code in the new future.
Notes on the tutorials
Please note that these tutorials compliment and build off of the excellent documentation and examples already included with these tools. I would recommended starting with Adobe’s documentation first and then proceeding to these tutorials. The order of my tutorials is important as well, starting from simple and building from there. In addition, to minimize your learning curve, I have started with methods in ExtendScript which I build upon and integrate into SwitchBoard, PatchPanel and I believe Photoshop Panels as well. For the seasoned ActionScript developer, I would suggest focusing on the ExtendScript tutorials followed by either SwitchBoard – if you’re interested in building AIR applications that interface with the Creative Suite apps (Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign) – or PatchPanel – if you’re interested in creating Flash plug-ins for the CS apps mentioned above.
The scripts included in the download, the majority of which come with a pdf tutorial:
– Hello Photoshop
– Add a new Photoshop document
– Get the # of layers in my Illustrator document
– Add/Remove all of the symbols in my Illustrator document
– Remove all the Swatches in my Illustrator document
– How to paint with Symbols in Illustrator
– Integrating your ExtendScripts with SB
– Debugging Embedded JS/ES files
– Two-way communication between SB and Illustrator
– Extending Photoshop’s DOM by adding Callbacks
– Integrating your ExtendScript with PP
– Flash Panels for multiple Creative Suite applications
– Painting with Code in Photoshop
Photoshop Panels (aka CSXSLibrary.swc)
– Enhanced Hello world
– Integrating your ExtendScripts with the CSXSLibrary
– Integrating Papervision3d with your Photoshop Panel
– Integrating WiiFlash + Papervision3d with your Photoshop Panel
It’s important to note that these tutorials would not be possible without the tireless support of John Nack, Bernd Paradies, Michael Daumling, Jeff Tranberry and Tom Ruark.
If you do choose to download the tutorials, please note that you are not allowed to republish them without my permission. In addition, they are as is… and will be largely unsupported due to my increasingly busy workload. With that said, I hope you find them invaluable in your pursuit to push the creative edge further and to make these applications sing for you.