brushes.paints.stencils. (bps) is made up of 3 rich-internet applications (ria): 1) bps: recorder; 2) bps: renderer and 3) bps: player. collectively, they emulate natural and artificial brushes, paints and stencils. the sessions are saved as xml files with swfs or movs (24- or 32-bit) for the web, tv or film.
this is where most of the creative process is recorded. brushes are selected and customized; palettes are imported and edited; media – like images and movieclips – are added to the painting; and stencils are for details impossible to create on a computer.
– the paint canvas can be turned off so that the video can be exported with an alpha-channel.
– the paint canvas size ranges from any size up to 2880×2048 (D16-film quality)
– the canvas editor emulates paper textures, which influence the direction of the paint flow. based on the basic principles of fluid dynamics.
– save session exports every brush stroke and interaction, including the x, y, and the current time info. the pressure and tilt data is included when painting on my tablet pc.
– brush presets: over 30 different brushes including: acrylic, chalk, conte, pastel, foam, pencil, pen, etc.
– brush properties: over 30 different brush properties that control the expressiveness of a brushstroke, including: size, angle (degree + on/off), mirror, paint amount, bristle spacing, jitter, wiggle, wobble, clumpiness, filter, blend mode, clone source, cellular automata behaviors, etc.
– adobe after effects integration: keyframe data can be imported and mapped to and sync’d to any property. eg., motion-tracking can be used to guide the direction of the brushstrokes.
fans of cellular automata and generative art will love this ria. it combines the handmade brushstrokes with semi-autonomous pixels. at some level, flash will be unable to render all pixel calculations/second. this ria renders the frames individually.
– cellular automata selector used to adapt the behaviors of the paint drops
– ideal for broadcast tv (w/alpha channel support) and/or film export where flash is unable to handle extreme pixel calculations/second
– automatically generating variations of the effects based on mutating cellular automatons. this type of rendering happens over night.
– based on results, the evolution of the mutation process can be influenced based on my preferences.
this is the ria that the public interacts with. after importing the xml that contains the recoded paint session data, it plays it back in real-time. compared to the file size of video, it’s tiny.
– loads xml data and renders the paint sessions in real-time
– audio synchronization: audio data analysis of a song is taken from after effects and imported as an xml file. selective brushstrokes and any variety of properties are mapped to the audio data. the end result is brushstrokes that react to the music.
Included in Woohoo’s presentations at AIGA in Seattle and OFFF: BCN in 2005 & 2006, respectively.